[CWG-Stewardship] Concern with Contract Co.

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Mon Dec 1 14:06:52 UTC 2014

 Greg Shatan writes:

 > Among a lot of other things:
 >
 > > Greg
 > >
 > > Thanks for this - and my questions back to you interspersed
 > > On 1 Dec 2014, at 7:27 am, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> wrote:
 > >
 > > Holly,
 > >
 > NTIA's roles relating to the IANA functions -- approval,
 > oversight, etc. -- are what is being handed over.  Second, while it is true
 > that holistically, the NTIA currently performs its roles in relation to
 > names, numbers and protocol parameters, our remit is to provide a proposal
 > for replacing NTIA's role with regard to names.

And I would like to stress, the role of the NTIA is largely symbolic.
Quoting NTIA:

   "NTIA's role includes the procedural role of administering changes
    to the authoritative root zone file and serving as the historic
    steward of the DNS, a role that has helped provide confidence in
    the system. NTIA contracts with ICANN to carry out the IANA
    functions and has a cooperative agreement with VeriSign to perform
    the related root zone management functions. NTIA's role is largely
    symbolic. NTIA has no operational role and does not initiate
    changes to the authoritative root zone file, assignment of
    protocol numbers, or allocation of Internet numbering resources."

See the page: IANA Functions and Related Root Zone Management Transition Questions and Answers <http://www.ntia.doc.gov/other-publication/2014/iana-functions-and-related-root-zone-management-transition-questions-and-answ>

	jaap