[CWG-Stewardship] On "Entity" and incorporation - key questions to frame our discussion

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:28:17 UTC 2014

I am afraid this is not that clear.

>From what I have been told by someone knowledgeable, the IETF is not per se
incorporated, and the MoU was signed by the President of ICANN (a legal
entity) and the Chairs of the IETF and the Internet Architecture Board
(neither of which is a legal entity). It was not through ISOC in that case,
although ISOC does provide the IETF a lot of support and contracting
capacity in other areas.

In any case, my question is a more general one. Is incorporation required
to "contract"?

If this is really required, how did the W3C manage to organize itself
during many years, simply by having a series of "host agreements" with
three universities?

I am a bit stubborn, but I am afraid we are not answering this in full
detail.

B.

"*Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes*", Antoine de
Saint Exupéry
("*There is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans*")BERTRAND DE
LA CHAPELLEInternet & Jurisdiction Project | Directoremail
bdelachapelle at internetjurisdiction.netemail bdelachapelle at gmail.comtwitter
@IJurisdiction <https://twitter.com/IJurisdiction> | @bdelachapelle
<https://twitter.com/bdelachapelle>mobile +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32
www.internetjurisdiction.net[image: A GLOBAL MULTI-STAKEHOLDER DIALOGUE