[CWG-Stewardship] On "Entity" and incorporation - key questions to frame our discussion

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 17:08:11 UTC 2014

Bertrand,

*1) About W3C*
W3C enters MoUs using its host organisations (MIT,ERCIM and Keio) as legal
vehicles. See for example
http://www.w3.org/2004/05/W3C-OMA-Agreement-FINAL.html
I am of the opinion that MoUs that W3C enters without using host
organisations as legal vehicles will not be legally enforceable.

*2) About IETF*
Substantial concerns were raised about the IETF MoU (as proposed) not being
legally enforceable.
See www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ianaplan/current/msg01370.html

Greg, in another mail, had highlighted the essential components for any
MoU/SLA/etc to amount to a enforceable contract. I believe both parties
being legal entities (or at least fictionally treated so by law) is a
necessary criteria.

One way of enforcing a MoU between GNSO (as an internal structure of ICANN)
and IANA (as an internal division of ICANN) is that the MoU can be given
sanctity through ICANN by-laws. Unfortunately, by-laws can easily be
changed raising serious accountability issues.