[CWG-Stewardship] Do we really need a Contracting Co.?

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 23:43:35 UTC 2014

Avri,

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> On 01-Dec-14 20:25, Seun Ojedeji wrote:
>
> Honestly at this point I think something is not clear here. Can you
> confirm if this PRT is within ICANN or not because your message above is
> implying outside. The second question is, what are the "IANA operation"
> related issues that ICANN board could say no to? and how is the
> accountability track fixing/addressing that.
>

> a few of us were talking about this evening over Eurodig drings and over
> dinner.
>
> I have come to believe the the MRT is really the ICANN Community as we
> know + others, but instead of sending its decisions to the Board for
> blessing it sends its decision to the Contract Co. for execution.

That is certainly the intent, in my mind. And I expect the details to be
consistent with that general statement, as they get filled in.

> It has been obvious for a while that the ICANN community and  ICANN
> Corporate are separate. So I have no trouble imagining that for the
> purposes of the MRT we organize what is essentially the stakeholders
> invovled in the ICANN community + some other parts of the Internet
> community into the MRT. Pretty much exactly just as we done with the ICG.
>
> As for who pays for the whole sructure we are talking about, it should be
> the IANA contractor, ICANN at this point, as part of its zero cost support
> of the IANA function.  The only thing that seems like it may require
> outside funding is the RFP/rebid process.  And for that we just follow the
> example we have been taught by ICANN Corporate and Contract Co. charges the
> applicants for the IANA contract an application fee sufficient for the
> process to be, as they say, cost neutral.

I think these are excellent suggestions.

> So it is not within ICANN, but it is formed by the ICANN Community with
> others.

That is how I hope for it to be.  But we'll need to make our way there, in
terms of details.

Greg

> avri

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*666 Third Avenue **ï** New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> *

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*