[CWG-Stewardship] Do we really need a Contracting Co.?

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Tue Dec 2 03:48:49 UTC 2014

Greg, Avri and Everyone

On the Contract Co issue, we did manage to get its size down to that of a shelf company, a skeleton for the MRT. But somewhere in there, discussion has raised the issue of suing/being sued- in which case Contract Co will have to have an existence larger than that or a mere shelf company.  So I think we’re back a few paces, although heading in the right direction.  But the larger the Contract Co, the more urgent the ‘Who Pays’ question becomes.

If we don’t want Contract Co to have a life (and significant funds) of its own, but largely be a vehicle for the MRT, then we need to think through why we need more than a shelf company/if we need more than a shelf company.  Bertrand’s stress tests and discussion about MoUs and SLAs have been very useful in that regard.

And a reminder - enforceability is often through legal processes.  But it can often be through processes of regulators as well.  So again, we need to think beyond legal paradigms for possible answers.

Holly