[CWG-Stewardship] My concerns with the draft proposal and an alternative option

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Dec 3 01:05:20 UTC 2014

At 02/12/2014 11:55 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>A response to Alan regarding Malcolm's "treatise":

I am in complete agreement on the need for all this, but I asked what
accountability measures need to be in place to ensure it. Apparently
it is working now and presumably most or all of this will be in the
contractual terms that ICANN will need to adhere to.

> > With respect to OUR task, the NTIA is withdrawing from issuing the
> > IANA contract. They have also indicated that they will get out of the
> > other aspects of Internet management, in particular the Verisign root-
> > zone maintenance agreement and the oversight of ICANN as the co-
> > signer of the Affirmation of Commitments. Neither of these two is
> > within our scope. The latter is certainly something that will need to be
> > considered (in my mind) by the Accountability CCWG in its Track 2.
> > All of your concerns seem to fall in that area, and not in Track 1, those
> > changes required for the IANA transition.
>
>I agree that Malcolm's 2nd and 3rd "core issues" largely fall into
>the remit of the Accountability CCWG. However, whether they are part
>of Track 1 or Track 2 (i.e., need to be done before or after the
>IANA transition, respectively) remains open.
>
>If we have a contracted IANA that is separable from ICANN,
>periodically renewed, and if the MRT is authorized to make the kind
>of mission creep about which Malcolm is justifiably concerned the
>basis for non-renewal, then I think our transition plan will allay
>most if not all of the need for Track 1 changes.
>
>On the other hand if we have a non-contracted IANA, imperfectly
>separable or not separable, or one not regularly or periodically
>renewed, then virtually all of what Malcom talks about must go into
>Track 1, as far as I am concerned.

The premise in my original question to Malcolm was "presuming that
the current CWG proposal goes forward".

Alan