[CWG-Stewardship] authorization function for ccTLDs

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 21:59:53 UTC 2014

Milton,

I'll take a quick stab at these questions, inline below.

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

>  I agree with what Becky Burr asserted below. But everyone seems to have
> lost track of what the original question was. Let me repeat:
>

> "The CWG is considering replacing the authorization role, at least with
> regard to ccTLDs, with a written opinion from counsel (independent of
> ICANN) that each delegation and re-delegation request meets the policy
> requirements cited in the publicly posted reports."
>
>  I simply asked:
>

> Where does this written opinion come from?

GS: Independent counsel.  Probably some poor shmuck in a very large law
firm with very good malpractice insurance.  Being a legal review, said
shmuck would review all of the relevant policy, and relevant implementation
guidance (hopefully with a fair amount of prior knowledge, so this is a
review not a major learning experience), and determine whether there was
any divergence between said policy and the del/redel request.  Since the
del/redel reports are supposed to cite to policy, this would not be too
much of a research project, assuming the del/redel request is filled out
accurately.

:

> What is the procedure for appointing an independent counsel to provide it?

GS: I don't think this has been discussed much.  I might suggest an RFP,
issued by the MRT.  This implies enough revenue to keep the lawyer(s) fed.

> Can someone simply try to answer that question?

GS: That's my try.  Frankly, I'm not overly enthusiastic about this
concept.  I'm not sure the task is well matched to the lawyers' skill set,
but, if it's a review against policy, it may not be a bad fit.  I guess
lawyers may be more willing to give this kind of opinion than some other
professionals. I might expect some caveats on that opinion, as lawyers do,
to keep their malpractice insurers happy.  So the question is, if not
lawyers, who is willing to be the last set of eyes before it goes to
Verisign to be entered into the root?.