[CWG-Stewardship] Strickling Remarks from 4 December re IANA Transition and Accountability

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 05:18:03 UTC 2014

My responses are inline below.

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*666 Third Avenue **ï** New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com> *

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 4:28 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Greg,
>
> Thanks for clarifying your view about accountability, i guess i have a few
> more clarification to seek...kindly find inset
>
> On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Seun,
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>> In fact, it's up to us to identify the *IANA-specific* aspects of
>> accountability and then determine how the IANA Functions Operator should be
>> held accountable for failures to implement policy and for failures of
>> operational excellence. That is our "accountability track."  And this has
>> been true since we started.
>>
>> If i may ask, if this group is able to put in place mechanisms that
> ensure the function operator is indeed accountable...why/what then is the
> need for the MRT and CSC?

The MRT and CSC are integral parts of our accountability mechanisms, along
with the contract (and the ability to terminate it) and the independent
Appeals Panel.  What do you think our accountability mechanisms are?

>> In my view (and the view of many others in this group), the current CWG
>> proposal was (and is) seen as the most efficient, effective, and
>> independent method for achieving this result, and also the best method for
>> replacing NTIA's other pre-transition roles as well.  I believe we arrived
>> at this in spite of ICANN's current *general* accountability issues, not
>> because of them.
>>

> Negative...i don't agree that is the best approach and again i don't know
> how you already determine the proposal is efficient especially when we
> don't even have the details yet. There are definitely other options that
> allows moving of IANA from ICANN (if absolutely required) one of which does
> not even require any contracting/MOU/agreement (which can be implemented by
> the technical community)
>
> We don't have all the details, but we have 10 pages of detail, enough to
make a preliminary judgment. These other options -- what detail is there
for these options?  What framework is there for these options?  Until there
is at least a "strawman" level of detail, these other "options" aren't
options at all -- they are just empty catchphrases.

>> To answer your question directly, I don't believe that the current
>> proposal is in any way based on the premise that the current operator lacks
>> -- *and will continue to lack *-- appropriate *general* accountability
>> mechanisms.  It is based on the premise that removing the NTIA from the
>> equation requires us to recommend *IANA-specific* accountability
>> mechanisms, regardless of how improved ICANN's general accountability
>> mechanisms might be (before or after the IANA Transition).  That is what we
>> have been tasked to do, and that is what we have done.
>>

> Greg, you mentioned earlier that the ability to move IANA is required
> (although i don't necessarily agree but it doesn't hurt to have it) so if
> there are adequate mechanism within ICANN wouldn't all that will be
> required is for the mechanism to trigger movement of IANA from ICANN? Why
> then do we require all the MRT/CSC structure? I also don't agree that NTIA
> said we should replicate contracting processes (you may direct me to what
> part of NTIA announcement that implied such)
> .

There is broad support for separability in the CWG.  It's in our Principles
(letter h) and it's in our Draft Proposal.  You are entitled to disagree,
but unless you can convince the CWG to change the Principles and the
Proposal, any option we recommend must include separability.,

You say "if there are adequate mechanisms within ICANN...."  What are these
"adequate mechanisms"?  Where would they come from?  Remember, it's up to
our CWG to come up with mechanisms relating to IANA accountability. Your
"mechanism" is a complete mystery.  If you want this group to consider an
"internal to ICANN" mechanism that would move the right to perform the IANA
Functions out of ICANN (and meet all the other requirements in this
transition), you'll need to propose one.

Finally, I never said that the NTIA said we should replicate contracting
processes. What makes you say that?  However, unless we have another way to
accomplish our objectives, the contract remains the most practical option.

Greg