[CWG-Stewardship] NTIA's Role in Root Zone Management

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Wed Dec 17 16:24:38 UTC 2014

Hi all, Seun:

On 18 December 2014 at 05:07, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 17, 2014 at 4:55 PM, Jordan Carter <jordan at internetnz.net.nz>
> wrote:
>>
>> Giving both the right to operate the IANA functions, and the
>> responsibility for operating the Root Zone, to the same entity would be far
>> worse in respect of accountability and creating a new massively centralised
>> power structure in Internet Governance than even the current idea of simply
>> transferring IANA to ICANN in perpetuity.
>>

> The implementation of the names related IANA functions is largely the
> operation of the Root Zone, so i am not sure i understand why/how you have
> counted this as double rights?

Because today, there are two agreements and three parties:

NTIA which essentially "owns" the DNS, and offers two contracts/agreements:
- to ICANN to be the IANA functions administrator
- to Verisign to be the Root Zone Maintainer

If I read your suggestion right, you seem to think folding all that into
one organisation would be OK.

I can't imagine how that would be OK. It would be a giant concentration of
power in one place and would create an all-powerful central institution for
names management (absent massive cultural and structural changes at ICANN).

Even if ICANN transitions to a more accountable organisation in terms of
what it does, that doesn't balance out the very far-reaching change you
seem to have suggested of putting all the pieces in one basket.

>> I cannot fathom how anyone who believes in distributed Internet
>> governance can even contemplate such an idea.
>>

> Is your statement above clarified based on my comment above?

I think so.

Jordan

jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*To promote the Internet's benefits and uses, and protect its potential.*