[CWG-Stewardship] Agenda item 5 - Alternate proposals

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Dec 18 03:55:31 UTC 2014

I note that item 5 on the agenda for the 18
December meeting is "Due consideration of
alternative proposal (not to exclude other proposals)".

I also note that there has been significant
discussion about the CWG Stewardship and the CCWG
Accountability, their inter-relationship and co-dependency.

In light of this, I would like to bring the CWGs
attention to a recent e-mail on the CCWG list (copied below).

Although I believe that the ALAC proposal
(http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-cwg-naming-transition-01dec14/msg00011.html)
is the only such alternative presented here, it
is not alone. I am not advocating the exact
details of the proposal referenced in the message
(see
http://www.innovationfiles.org/key-principles-for-the-icann-transition/
and
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/technology/227375-icann-transition-plan-needs-new-ideas-to-ensure-accountability),
but it does demonstrate that we are not unique in
wanting a far simpler mode for the new IANA
coupled with real multistakeholder accountability in ICANN.

I believe that the CCWG *WILL* deliver and I
think that we need to factor that into our
deliberations. Specifically, is there really a
need for the complexity, cost and associated
issues of Contract Co. given the same level of
control could be provided by a change such as this?

Alan

+1.202.420.7482