[CWG-Stewardship] Statement by JNC on IANA transition

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 05:07:40 UTC 2014

Actually, the process set forth by the ICG has been invoked improperly in
this case.  ICG's RFP says the following, as quoted by Mr. Hill himself.
It contemplates comments directly to the ICG in 3 instances:

Section 1 of that Request for Proposals states "some parties may choose to
provide comments directly to the ICG about specific aspects of particular
proposals, about the community processes, or about the ICG’s own processes.
Comments may be directly submitted to the ICG any time via email to
icg-forum at xxxxxxxxx."

This document is not "about specific aspects of particular proposals,"
since no particular proposals exist yet.

It is not "about the community processes," nor is it "about the ICG's own
processes."

That is not to say that we should ignore this submission.  But it should
not be characterized as following a path provided by the ICG.  Rather, Mr.
Hill (or the Just Net Coalition as whole) is blazing his/its own path.

Unfortunately, the path they chose is also based on a second false premise,
which is a basic misunderstanding about how Working Groups work and how
proposals ultimately considered for adoption get created.  I think Chuck
has summarized it quite nicely, both by word and by deed.  Some of the
others most active in our work have also been Participants rather than
Members.  Mr.  Hill has chosen not to participate.  By doing so, he has
absented himself from the dialogue, the give-and-take, the development of
proposals -- the dialogue.  Instead he, or the Just Net Coalition have
chosen to deliver a monologue.

I have read the document, and I will do so again, and I will give thought
to what it says.  But no Member or Participant should be expected to "carry
the water" for this document and represent its points of view by proxy.
With my coordinator hat on, I will take notice of it and do what I can
under the circumstances to put ideas and positions from it into the stream
of discussion.  But these ideas and positions would be more likely to make
a real contribution if someone engaged in the work of the Working Group was
doing what Chuck so succinctly described.

Greg