[CWG-Stewardship] multistakeholder principle was Re: [] FW: FW: CWG ... 2B

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 08:42:28 UTC 2014

Avri,

I reproduce some previous conversations on this list below that may help
have an informed discussion.

I request you to address the points raised by Becky and MM.

   -

   *Becky*: Seems to me that the core of this group would be registry
   operators, perhaps with representation from other stakeholders like
   registstrars, registrants, etc.
   -

   *Greg*: Oversight of the IANA functions for the naming community should
   not be left solely (or even primarily) to its direct "customers." An
   essential part of the multistakeholder construct is that all Internet
   stakeholders (aka "the Global Multistakeholder Community") are affected,
   directly or indirectly, by these matters. This CWG is roughly
   representative of those stakeholders. Any group or entity designated or
   created to hold steward/oversight responsibility should be similarly
   representative.
   -

   *MM*: I disagree at the most fundamental level. This position is based
   on a fallacy. The fallacy is to confuse the accountability and input of
   ICANN’s policy making process with the accountability of and input into the
   IANA functions. All stakeholders should have a voice in and fair
   representation in the process of policy development. But once a policy is
   agreed, the implementation of policies by the IANA is a derivative
   technical and operational function in which its direct customers are the
   primary stakeholders. Broad public oversight would be meaningless at best
   (because random members of the public would not know what is going on at
   that level) and dangerous at worst (because there would be temptations to
   circumvent agreed policies by politically intervening at the implementation
   level). I suspect that people who argue for broad representation of IANA
   contracting function are people who want there to be a capability for some
   kind of political circumvention of the policy process at the IANA level. In
   other words, they think policy should be made by IANA rather than by ICANN.
   That’s wrong, fundamentally wrong, and that is why IGP – and many others –
   have argued as a principle that policy and IANA implementation need to be
   clearly separated. If you want to change policy, do it in the policy
   process. If you want to monitor technical implementation of a policy by a
   registry, the operators of a registry are in the best position to do that.
   Yes, there should be some public interest representation in a contracting
   authority (IGP proposed that, too) but mainly for transparency purposes and
   for keeping them honest. IANA should be primarily accountable to the people
   who actually use its services and whose basic functions and activities are
   dependent on those services. Whether or not one thinks they used it, the US
   government’s authority over modifications to the root zone created the
   potential for that kind of political intervention at the implementation
   level. This set a very bad precedent for the world that we are still
   dealing with. Now some people are trying to reproduce that situation by
   making IANA oversight a way for interest groups who don’t get what they
   want in a policy process to get a second, back door bite at the apple.
   Let’s reject that clearly. If one knows what the performance of the IANA
   functions actually are, the idea that every stakeholder in the world should
   be engaged in “oversight” of its performance is pretty ridiculous. You
   might as well say there should be public, multistakeholder oversight over
   what secretaries a registry hires, what cars they rent, what buildings they
   live in. After all if their cars break down you as a customer might be
   affected, right? If their building power goes out, you might be affected,
   right? If the ccTLD for .za submits a request for a change in its root zone
   file data neither you, Greg – nor I – are in a position to say whether the
   request should happen or whether it has been implemented correctly. You may
   argue that internet users under .za will be affected if the IANA
   implementation of a root zone change for .za is performed badly, but the
   answer is that the .za registry would be affected immediately and far more
   damagingly than any individual customer would be, and in terms of both
   incentives and knowledge, is in a much better position to prevent that from
   happening than any other stakeholder. So if you really care about the
   security, accuracy and accountability of registry changes, we will be
   relying on the primary users, no matter what kind of a structure we set up.
   -

   Becky: Thanks Elise, very helpful.  I was thinking that the “oversight
   counsel” would focus on technical and operational issues as opposed to
   policy issues:  Things like SLAs, how quickly name server changes are
   processed, etc. Where a government actually operates the ccTLD, it would be
   direct consumers of IANA services, like gTLDs and ccTLDs. But policy for
   IANA would remain in existing ICANN processes.  Could you help me
   understand which technical/operational IANA services might raise “public
   interest” concerns?  I agree with you that having some GAC reps on a
   Oversight Counsel would not be inconsistent with the Strickling view, but I
   am curious about why GAC might want to participate in that kind of counsel.
   -

   MM: Totally agree with Becky. I think any IANA transition solution that
   gives governments a special, privileged role is not meeting the NTIA
   criteria and could not be implemented. Most governmental concerns arise in
   the policy development process. As I’ve said before, IANA does not and
   should not be involved in making policy, nor should it be viewed as a way
   to veto or circumvent agreed policy. Therefore govts – and we - must not
   confuse IANA issues with the accountability of ICANN’s policy making
   process. For that reason I really like Stacey King’s statement: if GAC is
   represents on an oversight council “that the ICANN Bylaws provision
   allowing for GAC advice on any policy matter does not apply to IANA.  Ie,
   that the GAC cannot exercise any additional authority over IANA functions
   through other means/routes.”
   -

   Guru: Becky. I agree with your initial assessment that the "oversight
   council" would focus on "technical and operational issues" (as opposed to
   policy issues); and therefore GAC participation in the council will not be
   required even though GAC participation at an equal footing will not be
   inconsistent with the multi-stakeholder model. However, I think GAC
   participation in the council might be essential in the scenario where the
   oversight council decides to change the IANA operator in the future. If the
   council decides to contract a different operator (different from ICANN) in
   the future, would it not lead to various policy issues such as jurisdiction
   of the new IANA operator, financing of the new IANA operator etc - where
   the insight of the GAC may be beneficial? Therefore I think GAC should be a
   part of the oversight council.
   -

   Allan: There is a potential problem with having just registries doing
   the oversight. Particularly for gTLD,s policy is set by a MS group (the
   GNSO) and it is possible that they can set a policy that the gTLD
   registries do not approve of (they do not have a veto based on GNSO voting
   threshholds). If IANA were to not be implementing that policy properly, the
   oversight body, composed of only registries would have no incentive to call
   IANA out on the problem
   -

   Becky: IANA is a service provider.  If you hire a contractor to build a
   house, it is the contractor’s job to make sure that the plumber and the
   electrician do their work properly.  If your house burns down because the
   wiring is faulty, you are going to look to the contractor – not the
   electrician – to make you whole. I fully support multi-stakeholder policy
   development.  Multi-stakeholder oversight of the electrician doesn’t make
   sense to me.
   -

   Oliver: irrespective of whether an "Oversight Council" is a desirable
   thing or not (I have not yet made up my mind about this, only having very
   basic information about it), I see a serious conflict of Interest where
   only the directly affected parties oversee operations that concern them
   directly.  There was much discussion about the GAC having seats. Although I
   have not asked them, I am pretty much sure that end users, as affected
   parties, would need a number of seats too
   -

   MM: I can’t agree with Olivier and Fouad. Olivier, help me to understand
   why the directly affected parties shouldn’t have the primary responsibility
   for operations they are the direct users of and that their own operations
   depend on. To me your claim that this constitutes a “conflict of interest”
   is almost self-contradictory and self-refuting – it is a confluence of
   interest, not a conflict – but perhaps I am missing something. Please
   explain. What I suspect is happening is that both of you are confusing
   policy development functions of ICANN with the operational and technical
   functions of IANA, and applying inappropriate mental models drawn from the
   former to the latter. In policy development we want “openness, diversity,
   inclusiveness and the user perspective.”  In the DNS IANA functions the
   users are the registries, it’s an intermediate good, it’s all about
   implementation, so we want efficiency, security and direct accountability
   to the primary users, not some playground for different stakeholders to
   voice their opinions. I do agree with Alan there should be safeguards to
   prevent the operational and technical functions from being managed in ways
   that undermine or subvert policy that is made in the MS process. It would
   be useful to discuss institutional safeguards – including antitrust law –
   to prevent those kinds of things. But throwing an infinite number of
   “stakeholders” into looking over the shoulders of those making root zone
   file modifications accomplishes nothing useful from a public interest
   perspective, while raising all kinds of risks and inefficiencies. If Alan
   can recognize the danger that IANA contractors or implementations might
   compromise the policy process, I hope that he can also recognize the danger
   that politicized ‘multstakeholdered’ oversight of the technical operations
   could be abused to circumvent or veto the policies developed by the MS
   process.