[CWG-Stewardship] FW: [ianatransition] A new proposed US bill?

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Nov 23 20:39:18 UTC 2014

I think we should pay attention to this bill, but for reasons unrelated to its chance of passage _in this Congress_ (remember, Republicans will control the next Congress; the probabilities will change).

We should pay attention to it because it is, in effect, the advancement of a "straw man proposal" by a particular group (US-based 'parliamentarians', to use the European term). There are some very good ideas and some very bad ideas in this proposal - I intend to blog on this topic sometime next week. I would call your attention specifically to the Internet freedom concerns and safeguards in the bill.

We should also pay attention to it because the bill provides a very good benchmark for preparing for the kind of questions that the NTIA is likely to be asked after they get a complete proposal from the ICG and begin to implement it. The Kelly bill can be considered a list of the concerns that US-based interests are going to be using to assess the final proposal. The GAO Report is equally important in this regard. Ignore them at your peril.

--MM