[CWG-Stewardship] Fwd: Stress Tests for IANA transition proposals

Malcolm Hutty malcolm at linx.net
Fri Nov 28 11:30:54 UTC 2014

On 28/11/2014 07:38, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
> One problem with this approach is that some of such imaginary extreme
> scenarios vividly outline ways by which IANA can be harmed, and might
> give ideas that might actually lead to such scenarios.

The post-transition environment we are attempting to design is intended
to be permanent.

I don't think it would be sensible to close our eyes to potential risks
on the grounds that "they might give people ideas" for how to cause
harm. Sooner or later, someone is likely to come up with those same
ideas anyway. Even recognising our limited, imperfect nature, we should
still at least aim for any permanent outcome we design to be proof
against any harmful ideas we can imagine.

I therefore regard these stress tests as a valuable contribution to a
discussion of success criteria for any post-NTIA structure.

Malcolm.
--
            Malcolm Hutty | tel: +44 20 7645 3523
   Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog

                 London Internet Exchange Ltd
           21-27 St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RY

         Company Registered in England No. 3137929