[CWG-Stewardship] My concerns with the draft proposal and an alternative option

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Nov 29 05:23:48 UTC 2014

As I have mentioned during the F2F meeting in Frankfurt and on the
most recent teleconference, I have significant problems with the
proposal currently on the table. I am taking this opportunity to
present my concerns in somewhat more detail, and I will also present
what I believe to be a viable alternative. The ideas presented are my
own, but I do know that they are largely shared by my At-Large
colleagues and by some others in the community.

I am also quite aware that my alternative options are likely to be
vehemently opposed by some.

I should also add that there are aspects of the current draft CWG
proposal that I strongly support. The Independent Appeals Panel is
perhaps the most important one.

Overview

Many of my concerns are due to the large number of "details" that
are, as yet, unspecified. Perhaps some of my concerns will be negated
once there are sufficient answers, but I have the nagging feeling
that for many, there will be no viable answer. This message will
necessarily be long - my apologies for that.

Contract Co.

Many of the issues surround the "entity" (as it was referred to in
Frankfurt). The draft somewhat glibly says that it will only sign the
contract. But it seems to be outsourcing much of its responsibility
to the Multistakeholder Periodic Review Team (PRT), and that seems
problematic. Perhaps the intent is not that all of these things go to
the PRT, but there does not seem to be anywhere else for the
functions to go. Among the tasks that it has outsourced are
consultation regarding the contents of future RFPs, RFP issuance, RFP
evaluation, contract negotiation and contract enforcement. What it
cannot outsource is addressing legal issues such as being sued by a
bidder who failed for win the contract and other such possibilities.
Whether it is possible to have such an empty company do all this
remains to be demonstrated. I will deal with problems with this
outsourcing under the PRT.

The jurisdiction under which the company is registered has been the
subject of some discussion. Clearly there are those who feel that
under no conditions can it be the US. At the same time, there are
some indications (such as terms in the Kelly bill) that imply that
the US Government may not be willing to accept anything other than
the US. Note that I understand that the Kelly bill itself may wither
and die, but to quote Milton Meuller, "We should also pay attention
to it because the bill provides a very good benchmark for preparing
for the kind of questions that the NTIA is likely to be asked after
they get a complete proposal from the ICG and begin to implement it.
The Kelly bill can be considered a list of the concerns that US-based
interests are going to be using to assess the final proposal. The GAO
Report is equally important in this regard. Ignore them at your
peril." (E-mail to the CWG-Stewardship list on 23 Nov 2014)

Without details of exactly how this corporation will exist, it is
impossible to assure oneself that it cannot be captured or controlled
by some entity or government(s). Running IANA will be a treasured
target by some countries and we do not know what lengths they would
go to capture the contract. NTIA had the strength of the US (and its
battleships and such) behind it. Contract Co. will not.

There has been no discussion about how this entity, or any part of
the overall proposal, is funded. More on this later.

Multistakeholder Periodic Review Team (PRT)

The PRT is effectively the operational arm of Contract Co. It is the
entity that makes decision for Contract Co., presumably including
those related to the RFP, contract negotiations, contract enforcement
and much more. But by its very name, it is Periodic. It does not
exist at all times and there are some in the community that have said
it should be re-constituted afresh every time it is needed (perhaps
like the Phoenix born from the ashes of its predecessor). I fail to
understand to how it can take action on problems if it is not an
ongoing entity.

The description says that it is a "body" with representatives
selected by the relevant bodies. Accepting that "relevant" is to be
decided later, it is unclear under whose auspices this body is
convened, and how we can ensure that it remains free from capture or
malformation. It was suggested in Frankfurt that this body could be
akin to (or even identical to) the IANA-CWG, but given that the
entire concept of this elaborate infrastructure is to allow ICANN to
be completely excluded from the IANA management process, presumably
because it has ceased to carry out this function as well as all
parties claim it is now doing, what makes us think that ICANN would
take responsibility for this, or more to the point, could be trusted
to do it properly?

So how this body, which is the critical keystone
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_(architecture)] on which this
entire superstructure depends, constituted, and funded. And how does
one ensure that it is not corrupted, or captured? Or sued. A body as
large as it will have to be will require infrastructure such as a
secretariat - how do we ensure that IT is not subverted (just look at
all the effort that has gone into ensuring an independent ICG
secretariat)? And without a corporate backing of the PRT, its members
would be personally liable in the case of a lawsuit. Who would want
to serve on such a group? Moreover, in an environment where the PRT
is taking very significant decisions, both financial offers and
personal threats would be an effective method of capture (and
presumably this is all volunteer work, or at most a modest stipend).

Surely, the PRT, which is implicitly all powerful, would need a new
oversight mechanism over it! And who oversees THAT oversight body?

Customer Standing Panel (CSC)

It is unclear exactly what this body monitors. If it is JUST service
levels committed to by IANA, the composition may be ok. But if it is
also responsible for ensuring that IANA is following policy, then the
composition MUST reflect the multi-stakeholder body or bodies that
created such policy. You cannot presume that the customers, who may
have been vehemently opposed to any specific policy, will report that
such a policy is not being policy. If the CSC is NOT monitoring
adherence to policy, then who is? It does not seem to be covered in
the proposal. During e-mail discussions, someone said it was the job
of the (for the gTLD space) GNSO. But it does not have the staff or
Bylaw mandate to do so, nor would it have any standing to complain to
whoever it is that would attempt enforcement (the PRT??).

There is reference to Liaison from ACs and SOs on the CSC. In the
ICANN context, a Liaison has no power other than that of persuasion.
They have no power to act if they are in disagreement with the
majority of the full members.

Cost

Cost has been mentioned briefly above, but it is a significant issue.
Aside from the costs of the infrastructure we are discussing here,
there is the cost of IANA. Currently this is funded by ICANN. If
ICANN were to be taken out of the picture (and the possibility of
doing that is the ONLY reason for building all of this), where does
the funding come from? From ICANN, out of the goodness of its heart,
despite no longer having ANY control over how much money is demanded
or how it is spent? By the gTLD registries, who have said they would
likely fund THEIR part of the costs, but not the entire thing. By the
ccTLDs who have clearly said we should not depend on them (with a few
exceptions)?

Acceptability

The last time I heard Larry Strickling talk about the stewardship
transition, he said it would only take place if sufficient controls
were put in place to address ICANN messing up (i.e., in the extreme,
a rogue Board). That PRESUMES that it is ICANN at the centre of the
IANA stewardship - why else would we care about ICANN accountability
if ICANN were not involved. From that, my take is they envision the
IANA responsibility being transferred to ICANN. The Kelly bill
clearly presumes this as well - why else would it be attempting to
put so many constraints on ICANN?

It is not at all clear that a proposal such as one that the CWG has
put in this draft would be acceptable to the US government.

It will certainly not be a favoured proposal from the point of view
of the ICANN Board (who may not have a direct say in this but cannot
be totally ignored either).

Integratability

The ICG will be tasked with integrating the CWG proposal with that of
the RIRs and the IETF. Although this is clearly their job and not
ours, I have always believed that one needs to look ahead to ensure
that there are no impassable roadblocks ahead.

We do not definitively know what those proposals will be, but
indications are emerging. Both bodies seem to be happy with how ICANN
is managing IANA, but both feel that in the event of any untoward
action, they could move the responsibility associated with their
areas somewhere else. Since in both cases, it is the same body that
sets the policy that would judge it, no great complexity is involved.
In ICANN's case, since the bodies that set policy in the names space
are (to a large extent) an integral part of ICANN, they cannot take
action against their "parent" (so to speak). Thus this cumbersome alternative.

Integrating these two approaches may be difficult.

Lost Opportunity

Part of the IANA Stewardship Transition is to put in place suitable
ICANN accountability and governance changes so as to ensure the
continuity of the IANA function.

If all of the questions posed here, and the ones raised by others are
addressed, we would end up moving from a situation where an entity
(the NTIA of the US government) awards the IANA contract. The
contract is currently held by ICANN but in theory at some future
date, it could be awarded to some other organization, removing ICANN
from any operational connection to ICANN.

The new situation would be where Contract Co. awards the IANA
contract. The contract will initially be held by ICANN but in theory
at some future date, it could be awarded to some other organization,
removing ICANN from any operational connection to ICANN.

Notice the parallel wording. ICANN really has no motivation to change
to effect this change. And in all likelihood any change associated
with this transition will be minimal.

If we go down the path of the current draft CWG proposal, I believe
that a major opportunity will have been lost to reform ICANN.

Alternative

Simply criticizing the current CWG draft proposal is not particularly
useful without alternatives. My alternative is certain to not please
some of the parties in this discussion, but I believe that it is both
possible and viable.

All of the complexity of the CWG draft proposal is there to cover the
eventuality that ICANN suddenly or gracefully stops performing the
IANA function to the satisfaction of the community. That was indeed
the situation a number of years ago, and ICANN took effective action
to rectify the problems (that is, the NTI did not have to yank the
contract to fix the problems). At the moment all parties seem to
agree that there are no significant outstanding major problems,
certainly none that could justify a change in the status quo. But
there is a recurrent fear of "what if". What if ICANN had the IANA
responsibility in perpetuity and stopped caring. Or had a Board that
deliberately and without community support took action or inaction to
harm how the IANA functions are carried out (the "rogue Board scenario).

These worst case alternatives are indeed possible. And since under
the current ICANN Bylaws, the Board is effectively sovereign, little
could be done short of changing the Board over a period of 3+ years.

I suggest that there are ways to alter ICANN's Bylaws to allow the
effective control of an out-of-control Board. These mechanisms will
not be particularly appreciated by the ICANN Board, but I believe
that such measures (or something similar) would be adopted if that is
what is required to be granted IANA.

There are a number of components that I will describe. They are not
necessarily a complete or even the correct set. Putting in place a
complete set of cohesive recommendations is what the Accountability
CCWG is being convened for. But the existence of the following as a
starting point, I believe, demonstrates that there IS a way to proceed forward.

-       ACs and SOs must be given the ability to recall their sitting
Board member. There will be no need to await the end of the current
3-year term.
-       Certain classes of decision regarding IANA can only be made
with (for an example) a supermajority (2/3) of the Board's maximum
Bylaw-mandated membership approving the decision. Without the bulk of
the AC/SO Board members, there will not be a critical mass of Board
members to take such a decision.
-       Certain classes of decision regarding IANA may only be made
after notification period and public comment. This would allow the
ACs and SOs sufficient time to act to recall their Board members
-       It is possible that the composition of the Board might need
to be slightly altered to ensure that a recall of most but not all
AC/SO Board members would be effective in halting action. Or a higher
threshold than supermajority might be needed.
-       Bylaws regarding GAC advice related to IANA might need to
somewhat altered to compensate for the GAC not having sitting Board members.
-       Similarly, non-affiliated ccTLDs would need to be worked into
the equation.
-       If allowed under California law, the Bylaws could be require
that under certain circumstances, a Board decision could be appealed
to an external body (similar to the proposal's Independent Appeal for
IANA decisions) and that the decision would be binding and
enforceable in courts.