[CWG-Stewardship] [client com] IPR Memo

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Aug 6 17:41:48 UTC 2015

Hi,

Given that Numbers does not want ICANN to have it, and
given that the IETF trust is bound to IETF concerns,
I personally find it difficult to understand how we will come to any
solution other than the creation of a trust specifically for the IANA
names and marks.

If Names agrees to this, then we and Numbers will be on the same page.
Of course while Protocols seems willing to have it in a trust, there is
no indication of their willingness for it to be in a trust other than
the one they control. So that may be a hangup.

If a trust can be written to make it accountable to each of the 3
communities with a commitment to do the right thing if one of them
breaks away from the common IANA, and with 1 rep from each of the
operational communities designated as the owner of the trust, woud it be
possible to cut this knot?

avri

---