[CWG-Stewardship] NTIA- An Update on the IANA Transition

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sun Aug 23 19:38:29 UTC 2015

Seun, we will have to disagree on this then.

The proposal itself is neither consistent nor
inconsistent with those sections of the DT-F
proposal, because it is silent on them. The
proposal is only addressing the mechanics of the
testing and phasing out of the NTI authorization.
It is am alternative methodology to section 1a.

However, the Questions and Answers that follow
the proposal do privide some idea of how the issues raised in 1b may play out.

Section 1.b.i talks about what will happen if the
NTIA is still tied to Verisign under the
Cooperative Agreement past the actual moment of
transition, and says there will need to be an
amendment of that Cooperative Agreement. The
answer to "Q. How will this impact the
Cooperative Agreement between NTIA and Verisign?"
mentions just such an amendment.

Section 1.b.ii talks about what will happen
should the NTIA-Verisign Cooperative agreement be
dissolved at the point of transition. It is not
obvious that this will happen at that point or
even later, but the answer to "Q. How will this
impact the Cooperative Agreement between NTIA and
Verisign?" alludes to such a replacement.

For the record, although the general
understanding of the March 2014 announcement and
in particular the associated Q/A
(http://www.ntia.doc.gov/other-publication/2014/iana-functions-and-related-root-zone-management-transition-questions-and-answ)
alludes to the phase-out of the NTIA-Verisign Cooperative Agreement:

>Q. What impact does this announcement have on
>the cooperative agreement with Verisign?
>A. Aspects of the IANA functions contract are
>inextricably intertwined with the VeriSign
>cooperative agreement (i.e., authoritative root
>zone file management), which would require that
>NTIA coordinate a related and parallel transition in these responsibilities.
That does not actually SAY that the cooperative
agreement will be phased out, only that the
RESPONSIBILITIES under the agreement will be
transitioned. Perhaps the NTIA plans to keep the
Cooperative Agreement in some form for some
period of time. I have no idea. The reference in
the most recent questions to a new ICANN-Verisign
agreement seems to imply that it will be replaced at some point.

Alan