[CWG-Stewardship] NTIA- An Update on the IANA Transition

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 20:28:23 UTC 2015

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 8:38 PM, Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca>
wrote:

> Seun, we will have to disagree on this then.
>
> The proposal itself is neither consistent nor inconsistent with those
> sections of the DT-F proposal, because it is silent on them.

I sure agree with the "non-of the above" you indicated. So for clarity and
like i said, it means there will still be a separate process that would
determine how the agreement will be handled. The DT-F reiterate that point
in 1b:

> ......The NTIA has said that there will be a parallel but separate
> transition to disengage the NTIA from the Root Zone Maintainer. The exact
> form of the latter transition is not currently known, nor what, if
> anything, will replace the current Cooperative Agreement and the parties
> involved in providing the services currently covered under the Cooperative
> Agreement.
>

> The proposal is only addressing the mechanics of the testing and phasing
> out of the NTI authorization. It is am alternative methodology to section
> 1a.

Yeah that is clear, it is said (as quoted from DT-F above) that a parallel
process will be put in place and it can be easily confused to be the
NTIA/ICANN/Verisgn proposal. The goal for me is to have good clarity on
current status vis what is still expected to be achieved/provided.

That does not actually SAY that the cooperative agreement will be phased
> out, only that the RESPONSIBILITIES under the agreement will be
> transitioned. Perhaps the NTIA plans to keep the Cooperative Agreement in
> some form for some period of time. I have no idea. The reference in the
> most recent questions to a new ICANN-Verisign agreement seems to imply that
> it will be replaced at some point.

Well i don't understand the post-transition practicality of what you said
above; So NTIA and VeriSign will maintain the agreement but ICANN will
carry out NTIA part of the responsibility, it does make sense in
implementation/testing phase but not after oversight transition. Unless its
determined that the transition proposals(both CCWG and ICG) is
insufficient/over-sufficient to keep ICANN accountable/stable
post-transition.

Regards

<http://goog_1872880453>seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng
<seun.ojedeji at fuoye.edu.ng>*