[CWG-Stewardship] CWG Position on IANA IPR

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 14:27:03 UTC 2015

Milton,

Of course, I'm serious.  I don't believe we discussed this statement much
if at all -- "in order to ensure that these assets are used in a
non-discriminatory manner for the benefit of the entire community."  There
was a fair amount of discussion of separability concerns (though not any
decision to adopt that as a rationale), i.e., fears that ICANN would not
transfer or allow use of the trademarks and domain names to a new IFO
chosen by an operational community.  However, I don't read the quoted
clause to refers to issues of separation and separability -- it refers to
how the assets will be used.  And I don't think we ever discussed the
meaning or import of this clause, much less adopted it as a rationale.  For
instance, we've never discussed what "use in a non-discriminatory manner"
means.

I don't think we came to any consensus on this list on a rationale, only on
support for the "minimum requirement" that the trademarks and domain names
be transferred to a party other than the IFO.

I think that Avri and Alan reflect more accurately the reason for our
non-objection -- it was a pragmatic decision, essentially "going along to
get along" (and to move along).

There's no need to inject any other rationale than that, and in any case,
we have no consensus rationale to inject.

Greg