[CWG-Stewardship] ICG request concerning IANA trademark and iana.org domain name

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Mon Jun 22 14:33:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 01:55:15PM +0000, James Gannon wrote:
> In an attempt to find a common ground, I would like to make a suggestion that we receive independent legal advice external to the contributions of the lawyers in this group

For whatever it's worth, Jari and I (with our IETF and IAB hats on)
asked the IAOC to ask the IETF's counsel for his view (this is within
Jorge's area of specialization).  I've asked him to review some of the
discussion on the list as well.  I observe that one of the things the
Trust does is hold the marks for the IETF.

None of that is meant to minimise Avri's argument, which is different
(i.e. hers is not that the IETF Trust _can't_ hold the mark, but that
it shouldn't).  The "can" and "should" questions are different
problems, and I thought more views about the "can" one would be
helpful.  I'll ensure that I can get whatever advice the IAOC receives
to release back to the CWG.  I don't wish to suggest that we should
accept whatever Jorge says; I'm just offering to get the opinion of
someone else in the field.

Best regards,

A (for myself, as usual)

--