[CWG-Stewardship] Service Level Expectations Design Team Template

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Sun Mar 1 20:59:58 UTC 2015

Alan, all:

Since operational communities want a workable solution, calls of 'hostage'
are probably wide of the mark and to be honest don't help the conversation
flow. They could indeed unkindly be described as a tactic designed to
stifle debate. I can't see that being your intention here, but it could be
the effect of your words.

We, IANA customers, need this system to work because our work in
turn depends on it. The names community should be entitled to at least as
good an outcome from the post-transition settlement as today's
settlement offers, but that baseline is no reason not to pitch for greater
clarity and certainty when we can.

I've had some private correspondence suggesting there are some real issues
that mean my simple distinction & view isn't necessarily workable. There
may be substantive SLA improvements compared with status quo that are
needed. I don't know yet. If there are, I'm happy to change my mind and
argue they should be done as part of the transition.

Given the CWG has spent quite some time on a wide range of issues that are
of less importance than this, I'm sure some time spent assuring operational
quality won't be wasted.

Will try and write more later today.

Jordan

+64-21-442-649 | jordan at internetnz.net.nz