[CWG-Stewardship] Sidley Austin LLP

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:41:46 UTC 2015

James,

I think you can rest assured on your two bullet points. I think Jonathan
summarized it well when he said above "the client relationship has been
clearly defined and emphasized in the retention letter in that *ICANN has
instructed Sidley to take direction exclusively from and provide advice and
consultation exclusively to the CWG, primarily through the CWG’s Client
Committee*."  This is a key point in the engagement letter.

Kevin Espinola of Jones Day was involved in the law firm interviewing
process.  He was very helpful and did not push any "agenda" in the process
that I could see.   It was actually quite useful to me in particular to
have another U.S. "outside" lawyer involved in the process.   No other
Jones Day attorneys were involved.  I can't see anything that ICANN Legal
or Jones Day di that would assist them in preparing their own legal advice
in parallel (though they are free to do so, of course), or to steer the
type of advice we will will get.  So I think it's just your imagination,
runnin' away with you (to paraphrase The Temptations).

Greg