[CWG-Stewardship] Principles: revised draft 11 March

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Wed Mar 11 21:21:52 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues,

I've been negligent with this document, but I attach a redlined (well,
in my case, bluelined) version that has a number of what I hope are
understood to be very small changes.  These are intended either to
keep the scope within the names functions, or to make it clear that
any proposal that delivers the functions as they are working now is
adequate.  That's what I understand we're supposed to be working on,
so I think these are just tiny clarifying items.  If people disagree,
I don't feel too strongly about any of these: I think that, if we
produce something that steps outside of names, the other communities
will tell us to take a long walk off a short pier; and I think that,
if we are going to insist on improvements as part of the transition we
simply won't get a transition at all, with all the negatives that
implies.

I am quite uneasy with this, however, in 7.ii:

    [Suggested compromise] For ccTLDs, respect national sovereignty:
    Policy decisions for ccTLDs [may be/are usually] made locally
    through nationally agreed processes in accordance with national
    laws and in compliance with IETF technical standards. Post
    transition of the IANA function, nothing will be done by
    ICANN/IANA to impact the stable operation of ccTLD Registries and
    gTLD Registries.

It's the last sentence that alarms me.  I propose something like this:
"Post transition of the IANA function, IANA will continue to provide
service to existing registries in conformance with prevailing
technical norms, conforming with policy decisions of registries
security and stability of the root zone itself."

Here's why: the last sentence as written is not constrained by
technical reality, the operational constraints on the root zone, or
for that matter policy decisions made by ISO (who determine the
relevant country codes).

For instance, both of the following could be argued against using that
principle:

    1.  ISO decides to deprecate a particular country's two-letter
    code, because the country ceases to exist.  An existing ccTLD
    registry could appeal to this principle to argue that the registry
    should not be closed anyway.  This is harmful to the policy of
    harmony with ISO 3166.

    2.  The IETF determines that it is necessary for continued
    security and stability that some additional resource records are
    added to inrastructure zones (like the root zone and TLDs) to
    indicate that they are infrastructure zones and mostly perform
    delegation.  It publishes a standard to this effect, and ICANN
    duly adds a relevant resource record to the root zone, which
    causes additional queries to flow towards child zone; this causes
    load which negatively affects the functioning of a registry that
    was already marginal.

This is to say nothing of a case where, say, a country passed a
national law insisting that they get 25 nameservers for the ccTLD or
other such technically broken decisions.

I hope we can find language that is more in line with operating a
global shared resource like the root zone.