[CWG-Stewardship] Principles: revised draft 11 March

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Mar 12 09:53:06 UTC 2015

> On Mar 11, 2015, at 22:21, Andrew Sullivan <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:
>

>    1.  ISO decides to deprecate a particular country's two-letter
>    code, because the country ceases to exist.

I scanned the ISO standard 3166-3:2014 (Part 3: Code for formerly
used names of countries) which lists four categories why codes by
be deprecated.  I summarise below

(1) Significance change of country name:

	EXAMPLE BURMA (BU) name changed to MYANMAR (MM) in 1989.

(2) Division of country

	EXAMPLE CZECHOSLOVAKIA (CS) was divided into the CZECH
	REPUBLIC (CZ) and SLOVAKIA (SK) in 1993.

(3) Merger of countries

	EXAMPLE 1 YEMEN, DEMOCRATIC (YD) and YEMEN ARAB REPUBLIC
	(YE) merged into YEMEN, REPUBLIC OF (YE) in 1990 (change
	of both country names).

	EXAMPLE 2 GERMAN DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC (DD) united with
	GERMANY, FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF (DE) in 1990 (removal of one
	country name).

(4) Obsolescence of country name (A country was gobbled up by an
other(s)):

	EXAMPLE NEUTRAL ZONE (NT); the name was deleted in 1993.
	The area is now absorbed into IRAQ (IQ) and SAUDI ARABIA
	(SA).

I haven't checked whether this rhymes with Part 1 of the standard.

For the moment I don't suggest to do anything with this information
but in case it comes, we should probably refer to these source

Regards,

	jaap