[CWG-Stewardship] Responses to ICG Questions

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Sat Oct 3 05:15:57 UTC 2015

Milton is correct in that this is an issue that is both critical to
the transition and not addressed by the CWG, and I believe not
addressable solely by the CWG.

There are a two obvious possible ways the issue can be addressed:

1. The NTIA amends the Cooperative Agreement to require Verisign to
publish changes submitted to it by IANA. Perhaps IANA would have to
be added as a signatory to that agreement.

2. The NTIA cancels the Cooperative Agreement effective the time of
transition and instructs ICANN/PTI to enter into an agreement with
Verisign prior to that time.

Perhaps there are other options.

None can be done without NTIA taking some action, and to what extent
ICANN/PTI need to be involved will depend on how the NTIA chooses to
proceed. What it decides may well be influences by political issues
in Washington.

I believe that the way forward is for the CWG Co-Chairs to contact
the NTIA and ask for either information on how they plan to proceed
so that we can take the appropriate steps (if any), or to confirm
that the issue is, for the moment, fully under their control and that
they will take the appropriate measures to ensure that the Root Zone
Maintainer is properly contracted and instructed post-transition.
With that information in hand, the CWG can confirm to the ICG that
1150, Section 2 is under control.

Milton, I would be glad to attempt to address "requirements of []
multiple annexes of the transition proposal", but could the you or
the ICG please be more specific. That reference covers 76 pages  of
text in the ICG document.

Alan