[CWG-Stewardship] SLE update - ICANN seeks to delay SLE Accountability reporting......

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Oct 13 14:19:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 11:31:16AM +0100, Paul M Kane - CWG wrote:
> IANA Manager who told me that ICANN does not have the resources to
> identify their current RZM processes in terms of time taken for the SLE.

I don't think this should be too surprising.  If I understand this
report correctly, it's that Elise doesn't feel like she has the staff
today to put them to work developing new measures to which ICANN will
be bound contractually.  That's different from measurements that they
happen to be able to produce.  If I were in her shoes, I'd probably
say something similar.  This is more or less why some of us argued
months ago that changing one word of the current SLE was just asking
for additional complication during the transition.

Instead, as some of us argued previously, there should be a schedule
for the implementation of new the SLE, which should happen after the
transition.  My opinion remains that staff should not be distracted in
the run up to the transition by making any changes to what they
measure or how they measure it, _regardless of_ how easy it would be
for IANA to make the targets.  Re-reading Annex H, I think there's
still room to make things happen this way.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com