[CWG-Stewardship] [client com] CWG Comment Letter - PTI Bylaws

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Thu Aug 11 10:02:09 UTC 2016

All,

At the previous meeting of the CWG, Christopher Wilkinson raised his significant concern about the (CWG) proposed change in the bylaws to reflect that the PTI chair need not be selected from the Nom Com appointees.

A chairperson of the Board (the “Chairperson”) shall be elected annually and should be selected from among the Nominating Committee Directors by a majority of the Directors then in office.  The President shall not be the Chairperson.

Lise & I looked back into this point and we note that this change was introduced recently to the CWG (meetings 82 & 83), reflecting a concern with limiting the slate of potential chairs to only the Nom Com nominated directors, when there could be better qualified candidates from the ICANN nominated directors. Note further that the CWG proposal does not specify this point, Sidley did not oppose it and, unlike other similar points, CWG participants did not raise any objection or support at either meeting 82 or 83. It seemed to go un-noticed by CWG participants. Furthermore, a key point for the CWG co-chairs, as proposed initial directors, is that we could be seen to have a conflict of interest (motivation to limit the slate for chair to ourselves), and so we need to be sensitive to this aspect of the discussion.

Therefore, if anyone else feels strongly about this, and assuming so, particularly if they are able to rapidly suggest any pragmatic alternatives which potentially balance the concerns, that may be helpful.

Please be acutely aware that our comments on the PTI Bylaws are due in today.

Thank-you,

Lise & Jonathan