[CWG-Stewardship] [client com] CWG Comment Letter - PTI Bylaws

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 15:08:26 UTC 2016

Matthew,

I agree with your point, generically.  However, I think the analysis is
different with regard to subsidiaries and affiliates.  It's much more
common (if not expected) for chairs of controlled entities' boards to be
"non-independent."  That said, PTI is not a typical affiliate, and there is
a tension between its "affiliated-ness" and its independence.  As such, I
would leave it to the Board to appoint the most qualified Chair.  We could
consider term limits for chairs, as a check on your concern (though, of
course, the ICANN directors could play round-robin with the Chair should
they choose to do so).

I don't really have a problem with suggestion 2.  It's certainly preferable
that the Chair have broad support.

I also think the NomCom should be asked to put forward candidates with the
potential to be Chair, but I would not give the NomCom any role in
designating whether a nominee could or should be Chair.

Greg