[CWG-Stewardship] Notes, Recordings, Transcript - CWG IANA Meeting regarding budget work and progress - 9 February 2016

Brenda Brewer brenda.brewer at icann.org
Tue Feb 9 21:23:31 UTC 2016

Dear all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for the CWG IANA Meeting regarding budget work and progress
that took place on 9 February @ 20:00 UTC will be available here:
https://community.icann.org/x/QQeAAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Kind regards,

Brenda

Notes

Chuck Gomes chairing the call

Leon Sanchez on audio only

Paul Kane -- concerns with budget is couched in stability issue for PTI (outside of the 'whim' of
ICANN Board or management)

Can we implement to the satisfaction of Paul's suggestions while maintaining the CWG and CCWG
proposals as they are?

Martin Boyle outlines three situations:

*        #1 - ICANN bankruptcy

*        #2 - PTI goes rogue

*        #3 - Community vetoes budget --> this is the only situation where the caretaker budget
would come into effect

Could we build something into the Bylaws to link ICANN's responsibility for funding PTI in the case
of #1?

Chuck notes that an escrow would not apply in cases of #1 and #2.

Most on the call agree that there should be some escrow or reserve funding allocated to PTI
operation.

Xavier Calvez -- ICANN handles financial stability through a reserve fund. This is an undesignated
fund where costs can be allocated
where needed. In the post-transition phase, the reserve fund will still be there to cover for ICANN
(and PTI within that umbrella).

Could a priority be put on the reserve fund for PTI funding?

Greg Shatan -- suggestion for a PTI reserve fund that is separate from ICANN's fund

How many years of funding would need to be accounted for? Paul suggests 3-5 years (but three would
be fine)

Jonathan Robinson -- cannot go back to CCWG, we cannot modify CWG proposal. All we can do is give a
recommendation that this is tackled at
implementation. Will need a recommendation from DT-O to CWG and endorsement from CWG to move
forward.

Conclusions of the call:

*        Decided that CWG/DT-O should work on multi-year funding in implementation effort

*        Agreed that , per the CWG proposal, CWG/DT-O should initiate a process for IANA budget
approval in relation to ICANN budget
approval (including the issue discussed on this call with regard to multi-year funding)

*        Suggested that this CWG/DT-O group address the question of inclusion of IANA budgeting
processes into the Bylaws

Lise Fuhr -- hesitance for what is included in the Bylaws, considering ongoing Bylaws work and need
for 'shortening' and 'reorganization' work
that needs to be done.

Paul wants to have a reference in the Bylaws, but he is willing to let the form of this be addressed
by the legal experts who will work on the Bylaws.

Xavier notes "We need to be careful that any provision relative to this topic that the group would
suggest to design will not have been
submitted to public comment, and thus becomes a private working group opinion..."