[CWG-Stewardship] The work of CWG Stewardship has come to an end

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Oct 6 14:49:03 UTC 2016

Dear Jonathan and Lise,

thanks to both of you for having steered a sometimes unruly ship in
turbulent waters. I think that we have all learned something, both about
the multistakeholder model but also about each other. I feel honoured to
have been part of this group. I also would like to extent my thanks and
congratulations to both ICANN support staff and our Legal Team from
Sidley. The whole process should serve as a testimony to the
multi-stakeholder model. Remarkable. Historical.

I do have one question: you mention, "our work is complete" - does this
mean that Stewardship Transition implementation is also complete and has
been undertaken to this CWG's satisfaction?

Kindest regards,

Olivier

On 02/10/2016 22:25, Lise Fuhr wrote:

> Dear CWG Colleagues,
>

> As you are aware by now, the agreement between the US Government
> (NTIA) and ICANN, regarding management of IANA functions, expired on
> 1^st October 2016. This means that the IANA Stewardship Transition can
> now proceed as planned and as such, the  CWG has fulfilled its
> purpose. It has been a long and, at times, very challenging journey
> for the group. We co-chairs would like to sincerely thank you all and
> ICANN staff for the hard work and stamina you have shown.
>

> You will recall that we had an initial attempt at a model and when
> this failed to get adequate support from the community, the CWG went
> back to work and produced a revised model. We did this by modifying
> the way we worked and we divided the group into design teams in order
> to have dedicated, focused groups. However, throughout the process, we
> always returned to the CWG as a whole to evaluate and approve the
> work. For us as co-chairs it has been very challenging at times, but
> we have learned a huge amount from all of you and the process itself.
> This has been an excellent example of how the multi-stakeholder model
> can work in practice. Not the easiest way to work, but ultimately
> thorough, inclusive and holistic. In addition to the primary task of
> producing the IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on behalf of the
> Names Community, we also believe that the work of this group has made
> a significant contribution to the effective working methods of Cross
> Community Working Groups.
>

> Most recently, there were several political and other issues which
> threatened to delay or derail the process but the crisis which that
> would have potentially represented has been averted in the end. This
> is a very good start for the Stewardship Transition and we believe
> that the CWG has been the best team to facilitate this work. Our work
> is now complete and we will have no more meetings. Therefore we will
> now proceed to dissolve the CWG by writing to the Chartering
> Organisations in order to communicate that our work is now complete.
>

> Thank you for your recent good words on our mailing list, but we think
> it is critically important to once more thank you and acknowledge the
> work of the whole group and ICANN staff. We worked together on a
> historical journey and you have all contributed significantly to the
> IANA Transition plan, as well as evolving the multi-stakeholder model.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Jonathan and Lise

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD
http://www.gih.com/ocl.html