[CWG-Stewardship] Letter of instruction from the CWG to ICANN regarding the IANA IPR Community Agreement.

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 05:58:59 UTC 2016

Milton,

I don't think any one person can be in a position to hold up this process.
This is the end result of an exhaustive (and exhausting) multistakeholder
process.  We put in months (really, years) of thorough and well-considered
work on the IPR issues alone.  This involved a significant group of
stakeholders (in this case, across the names, protocol parameters and
numbers communities).  The result of this work has been put through the
public comment process, and fully agreed and brought to conclusion with the
broad support of diverse stakeholders.

It would make a mockery of the multistakeholder process to allow any one
person to hold up implementation at this point, when the work is done.

In working groups, we do try to be open to questions and opinions from all
angles, sometimes to a fault.  This is especially true early on, when it's
important to consider all viewpoints.  But we are far, far past that point.
Our decisions have been  made.  Our commitments are clear.  It's time to
get it done.

Greg