[CWG-Stewardship] Letter of instruction from the CWG to ICANN regarding the IANA IPR Community Agreement.

Lindeberg, Elise elise.lindeberg at Nkom.no
Mon Sep 26 12:05:35 UTC 2016

Greg, yes,  - a webinar or other presentation on the agreements is a good idea. This will be informative also for Chairs of the SO/ACs that will be the “Consenting” after CWG.

Best

Elise

Fra: cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org [mailto:cwg-stewardship-bounces at icann.org] På vegne av Greg Shatan
Sendt: 24. september 2016 21:22
Til: Christopher Wilkinson
Kopi: cwg-stewardship at icann.org
Emne: Re: [CWG-Stewardship] Letter of instruction from the CWG to ICANN regarding the IANA IPR Community Agreement.

Chris,

You're misreading the agreement and the letter.

The language you quote regarding "guidance, advice, and if expressly specified in this Agreement, approvals" is from the Community Agreement and refers to the relationship between the Community Coordination Group and the IETF Trust.  This should be readily apparent when looking at the entire Section 2.1, from which you pulled that quote:

"The CCG is hereby formed, and shall operate in accordance with the terms set forth below, to provide guidance, advice, and if expressly specified in this Agreement, approvals, to the IETF Trust regarding the stewardship of the IANA Intellectual Property."

The language you quote regarding "Instructs" and "directs" is from the Letter of Instruction and refers to the relationship between the Names Community and ICANN acting as a signatory on behalf of the Names Community.  This can be seen in Section 3 of the Letter of Instruction ("ICANN will follow the instructions of the Names Community") as well as in Section 7 ("ICANN will act solely at the direction of the Names Community").

Each is appropriate for their respective circumstances.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance in understanding the agreements.  It strikes me that, once the CCG representatives have all been selected, a webinar or other presentation on the agreements might be in order.  This will help those who were relatively less involved in the process understand the agreements and the relationships among the parties.

Best regards,

Greg