[Discussion-igo-rc] External legal advice on 6ter

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Thu May 4 15:24:35 UTC 2017

In regard to " we are not commercial parties, and trademark is a commercial regime".

While trademark protection is based in commercial law, it is the system that has been globally adopted for protection of names and acronyms, and can serve non-commercial entities very well.

Here is a link to an article about a just published WIPO UDRP decision in which the UK's taxing authority successfully recovered two domains that might have been used to facilitate financial fraud--
http://www.trademarksandbrandsonline.com/news/hmrc-recover-two-domain-names-using-their-trademark-4988?utm_source=World+IP+Review&utm_campaign=3247f97d3b-TBO_Digital_Newsletter_19_04_2017&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d76dcadc01-3247f97d3b-27370301

I also know of another recent situation in which the US Environmental Protection Administration failed to renew a domain used in an anti-asthma campaign and had it voluntarily returned by the new registrant after filing a UDRP, with no need for the case to go to decision.

There are many examples of non-commercial agencies of sovereign governments successfully using the UDRP to recover important domains.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050