[Epdp-dt] Questions / Letter to board

Pam Little pam.little at alibaba-inc.com
Thu Jun 21 00:56:11 UTC 2018

Heather & Colleagues,

The Google doc has a lot of comments and edits so for ease of reading, I am posting to the mailing list.

I think the paragraph below needs a bit more work or delete the underlined text.

(2) Further consideration of the “picket fence” and its impact on the EPDP
In our discussions with the Board on 5 June 2018 the GNSO Council sought the Board’s input on how the EPDP should take into account matters contained in the Temporary Specification that falling outside of the picket fence. In our letter of 8 June 2018 the specific question was raised: “The Temporary Specification covers a number of additional policies that go beyond the requirements of the RA and RAA as they relate to Registration Data Directory Services. How does the Board believe the GNSO Council should handle these areas of overlap?”In the responses received via David Olive on the GNSO Council mailing list on 12 June 2018, it was reported: “The Board has not had time yet to discuss this question but once it does, it will provide its feedback to the GNSO Council.”This issue has a significant impact on our efforts to scope the EPDP so requires further discussion before that effort can satisfactorily progress.

The response via David Olive quoted here was not in relation ot the picket fence question but to Question #5 below, see https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2018-June/021455.html
*(5) The Temporary Specification reasoning for including WHOIS as a
security and stability issue is based on the new ICANN Bylaws; at time of
contract signing, that wasn’t the case. Doesn’t that open a possible avenue
to challenge it altogether? Wouldn’t phasing the EPDP allowing a quick
Consensus Policy made of uncontroversial parts of the Temp Spec increase
the assurances that this wouldn’t hamper ICANN Org’s compliance ability? *

The Board has not had time yet to discuss this question but once it does,
it will provide its feedback to the GNSO Council.
The picket fence question was discussed during our call with the Board (Stephanie and Michele both raised it but the Board did not respond directly to the queston), see transcript https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/transcript-council-icann-board-05jun18-en.pdf.
Kind regards,

Pam