[Gac-gnso-cg] version 7 of the charter - reflecting the last editson today's call

Manal Ismail manal at tra.gov.eg
Wed Jan 29 10:14:47 UTC 2014

Many thanks Mikey, as usual unbeatable speed J ..

Dear All ..

I've included below the paragraph under debate for ease of reference ..

"The GAC is structured under the ICANN Bylaws to provide advice to the
Board.  A timing difficulty arises because the GNSO PDP reaches the
Board at a very late stage of the GNSO policy-deliberation process and
it may only be at that time that the GAC turns its attention to the
GNSO's work.  [Only then does the Board request GAC advice, which is an
example of a process that appears to need review and improvement.]"

The sentence "and it may only be at that time that the GAC turns its
attention to the GNSO's work." implies that the GAC does not know about
the GNSO's work until the Board seeks advice, which is not the case ..

Hence the suggestion I did during the call was:

-          "The GAC is structured under the ICANN Bylaws to provide
advice to the Board.  A timing difficulty arises because the Board seeks
GAC advice only when the GNSO PDP reaches the Board at a very late stage
of the GNSO policy-deliberation process."

I also believe this serves the purpose:

-          "The GAC is structured under the ICANN Bylaws to provide
advice to the Board.  The GNSO PDP reaches the Board at a very late
stage of the GNSO policy-deliberation process. A timing difficulty
arises when the Board then seeks GAC advice because only at that time
that the GNSO gets to know about GAC concerns. [A process that appears
to need review and improvement.]

For me, the sentence between square brackets is not indicated but does
not harm the meaning ..

Looking forward to hearing what others think ..

Kind Regards

--Manal