[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Materials, Agenda for 5 Sept PP IRT Meeting

theo geurts gtheo at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 4 19:36:56 UTC 2017

Agreed, if the provider is awol, then we should not expect much from them.

Section 3.3.5 Without going into the operational challenges we
might/should make sure this section allows Registrars a lot of
flexibility here. I cautioned about the GDPR data breach possibility,
most likely ICANN as the data controller will be liable here, but we
should come up with something that makes sure this does not happen. This
might be a sub team task.

3.5 A privacy service is a service, not a domain name. Under the current
language, a customer can choose between privacy providers without
transferring the actual domain name. The same logic applies when it
comes to de-accreditation.

Section 5.
I am not going to belabor this point.
This procedure deals with domain names, where a Registrar gets domain
names transferred to its accreditation.
What is happening is that a domain name registrant contact gets
updated.  An update to the WHOIS records at best.

5.4  Good to notice that ICANN will do all the work here.
To make this work detailed Escrow data for nonaffiliated providers is
key here.

De-Accredited Registrar Transition Procedure in general.
Tom Barret pointed out that this is in some cases, call it doing the
community a favor here. You might get 1000 domain names on your
accreditation really easy if you get some renewals out of it, great, you
made some money as a Registrar, though most likely you did a ton of work
and got paid peanuts in the end. But that is a business decision or
better put, you doing ICANN a favor and its community and the registrants.

What I the privacy provider is offering the privacy service for free? As
the gaining privacy provider and you charge money you know for sure that
those customers are not going to renew, they want out to another privacy
provider that offers the service for free.
If if the gaining privacy provider does provide the service for free
then this provider will do a ton of work for nothing, there is nothing
to gain except liability issues.
In fact, you have to verify, suspend domain names and your support staff
will go nuclear and not having a good week.

6
I expect there will be no pool of privacy providers. I have looked at
the DART program a few years back; I truly appreciate what Tom Barret
and other Registrars in that pool are doing.
But the reality it is an amazing boatload of work. Sometimes the data
quality is poor and requires a lot of scripting.

Best regards,

Theo Geurts