[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] Final IRT Feedback Due EOD Sunday 28 Jan: draft LEA framework

theo geurts gtheo at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 24 11:57:35 UTC 2018

Hi Amy,

Now we could mark the LEA disclosure framework specification as
unresolved and hope that someone in the community posts a comment that
is the silver bullet.

Or we try to gain better insight here, though it feels very close to
policy-making, on the other hand, the current issue is already policy
making and out of scope in my opinion but let's be practical about this.

There are 331 million domain names, 147 million are ccTLDs, the majority
has no data publicly available regarding the registrant.

184 million gTLDs, 25% of those are protected by privacy.
 From a registrar perspective, we are dealing with a vast amount of
domain names where data is not available in the WHOIS, and so far we do
not think the requirements discussed yesterday are needed.

So perhaps it is an idea we reach out to some of the larger ccTLD
registries and see how they deal with direct threats like terrorism,
kidnappings etc.
Most, if not all of the ccTLDs operators are not to profit and have
vasts interests in serving the broader public and its safety.
I am personally of the opinion we could learn something here and gain
new perspectives which might allow us to put matters into perspective.

Thanks,

Theo Geurts