[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] [Ext] Re: Final IRT Feedback Due EOD Sunday 28 Jan: draft LEA framework

Amy Bivins amy.bivins at icann.org
Wed Jan 24 13:58:18 UTC 2018

Hi Theo,

Thank you for your suggestion! I'm interested to hear what others think.

This is interesting information that could benefit the community through the sharing of existing practices and lessons learned. But it's possible this may be beyond scope of our work here, which is determining: (1) whether LEA abuse contact information (or a way to obtain that information) should be required to be posted on a provider's website, and (2) what a provider's required response time should be to "high priority" LEA requests (involving an imminent threat to life, serious bodily injury, critical infrastructure or child exploitation. On point 2, the PSWG has recommended that the response time required under the accreditation agreement be 24 hours from the time of the request or less. Most registrar members of the IRT have said that while they would work to respond to such requests as expeditiously as possible, they prefer a longer required response time to be written into the contract.

We heard the point raised by registrar members of the IRT (yesterday and previously) that the burden of maintaining processes (and staff) to field such a request from LEA within 24 hours, when such a request may only rarely or never occur, may be too great. I believe Peter's counter-point to that yesterday was that even if the need for a specific provider to respond to such a request is exceedingly rare (or even if this never occurs), having a process in place that helps in even one of these situations is a net benefit to such a requirement.

Best,
Amy