[Gdd-gnso-ppsai-impl] PP LEA Framework: Remaining items for IRT feedback (requested deadline 8 May)

Roman, Peter (CRM) Peter.Roman at usdoj.gov
Tue May 1 19:45:03 UTC 2018

4.1.2 - I worry that the key phrase in future legal analysis here is not "reasonably refused" but "without limitations."  Therefore, the inclusion of the phrase "without limitations" effectively translates into "arbitrarily refused" or "refused because we are going to refuse all of these requests no matter how reliable they seem."  Is there some other more limited language that can be used to convey what you all are trying to do here?

On 4.1.2.5, it is hard to see how the Provider is going to investigate the emergency request and make the determination that it is not "well founded."  Are Providers going to send agents to the requesting country to do their own investigation?  Are Providers going to simply refuse all requests from certain countries?  If so, based on what evidence?  Is the fact that a Provider's own local law enforcement vouched for the request by transmitting it to the provider not sufficient?  Again, is there some other phrase, a little more clearly and narrowly tailored that can provide the protection the Providers seek?

On 4.1.6, I don't understand what we are trying to do here.  Local laws always apply (see 4.1.2.2), so whose due process does this refer to?  And since the request is being passed to the provider through local law enforcement, doesn't that mean that local legal requirements, including local due process, have already been met?  And if the provider does not trust local law enforcement, how is this language going to improve that?  It reads like 4.1.2, which is that it could be interpreted to mean that no emergency requests will ever be responded to.

Peter Roman

Senior Counsel
Computer Crime & Intellectual Property Section
Criminal Division
Department of Justice
1301 New York Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20530