[GNSO-Accuracy-ST] Survey Reminder - Please Complete

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Mar 16 00:43:43 UTC 2022

Michael,

I am answering "degree of Accuracy", not because
I am happy with it as a "definition" but because
it is closest to what I believe.

The term accurate is often not used alone.

For a survey: "estimated to be accurate within
3.1 percentage points, 19 times out of 20."

A number printout: "accurate to 3 significant digits"

Some things are indeed Accurate or Not Accurate.
E-mail addresses are generally unforgiving of
even small errors, Phone numbers are unforgiving
in the local part, but can be very forgiving in
other aspects. Postal addresses can have varying
degrees of accuracy and Names can have many forms
which might all be considered accurate.

So I feel that any definition must be more
nuanced.  How accurate something must be (as
Steve has continually reminded us) is
sufficiently accurate as to satisfy the need for which it is to be used.

Alan