[Gnso-dmpm-wg] MP3 DMPM - Tuesday 09 September 2014 at 20:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Wed Sep 10 02:47:23 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Data & Metrics for Policy Making Working Group call held on Tuesday 09 September 2014 at 20:00 UTC at:

http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-dmpm-20140909-en.mp3

On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#sep

 <http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/> http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr – ALAC

Olivier Kouami – NPOC

Jonathan Zuck – IPC

Graeme Bunton – RrSG

Marinel Rosca – Individual

Pam Little – RySG

Jeremy Beale- Independent

Gabriel Vergara-NCUC

Apologies:

none

ICANN staff:

Amy Bivins

Berry Cobb

Steve Chan

Brenda Brewer

Terri Agnew

Wiki page :  <https://community.icann.org/x/myt-Ag> https://community.icann.org/x/myt-Ag

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Tuesday 09 September 2014:

  Brenda Brewer:Welcome to the Data and Metrics for Policy Making Working Group on the 09th of September 2014

Marinel Rosca:Hello everybody

  Jeremy Beale:Hello - apologies for the long absence, I've been dealing with a family bereavement.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:so sorry to hear that Jeremy

  Jeremy Beale:Thanks Cheryl - it's meant many trips to Sydney,but not for pleasure unfortunately.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I trust the worst is over then...

  Jeremy Beale:Yep

  Terri Agnew:Gabriel Vergara has joined

  Gabriel Vergara:Hi sorrry .. im late

  Berry Cobb:I would just add that we will circle back to this document likely after LA /after our deliberations of the framework for contracted party data access.

  Graeme Bunton:Americans use the expression 'to table soemthing' backwards

  Gabriel Vergara:what about meassuring spammer phishers and registrars ratings?

  Gabriel Vergara:Tata my point if its private how to mine the right data

  Graeme Bunton:I'm not sure what you mean by measuring spam and phishing, Gabriel

  Graeme Bunton:Definitely worth looking into what can be done with already collected data

  Gabriel Vergara:Imean as an example how to filter to numbers  which are the regitrars that have most  domain owners that provide spam, or malicous software  or bad behaviour...

  Gabriel Vergara:if data is anonymized

  Olevie::-)

  Graeme Bunton:I suspect that sort of investigation is outside most of the use cases we'd be looking into

  Gabriel Vergara:would be hard to pin point problems  so when policy making  the data has trhe right tools to  taclke down

  Gabriel Vergara:would be hard to pin point problems  so when policy making  the data has trhe right tools to  taclke down '

  Gabriel Vergara:those problems

  Olevie:frm Lome Togo

  Pam Little:Here are our initial thoughts:

  Pam Little:1.     Request for data should be non-discriminatory among registrars/registries.2.     Request for data should clearly state that provision of such data is optional. 3.       Request for data should clearly state the purposes for which the data will be used.4.             Cost of providing the data should not be borne by the registrars/registries.5.                Data provided should be treated as confidential, unless otherwise agreed by the data provider. 6.           Data provided should be anonymized and aggregated, unless otherwise agreed by the data provider. 7.         There should be safeguards to protect against unauthorized access or disclosure. 8.    Data that has not been anonymized or aggregated should be destroyed promptly after completion of the purpose stated in the request.

  Graeme Bunton:Agreed with that Steve

  Pam Little:Agreed with Jonathan there.

  Pam Little:We need to show "what's in it for them".

  Berry Cobb:Abuse types of data are also often collected by 3rd parties like SpamHaus and other sources.  Another part of our charter is to define a framework on how WG can access these types of external data as well to include a discussion around budgetary implications.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:sounds great Pam

  Berry Cobb:The LA Schedule is still in draft, but the Monday at 13:00 to 14:30 slot was requeted.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:why not both

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:after if possible

  JeremyBeale:Not sure if my mic is working properly. But Graeme mentioned that one member said pricing should be off the agenda. This raises an important point for a self-regulatory body like ICANN - that it ensures that data requests do not cover data sharing that could be viewed as anti-competitive or trust-promoting in effect.

  Berry Cobb:If we turn down Monday, then Thurs AM is the only other option

  Berry Cobb:Affirmative

  Graeme Bunton:Wednesday?

  Berry Cobb:Wed we have conflicts with GNSO Council meeting and other WGs

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:what is the Monday time slot berry?

  Berry Cobb:13:-- - 14:30

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thx

  Berry Cobb:13:00

  Berry Cobb:We can also do "sales for attendance" on the weekend GNSO sessions.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup

  Olevie:ok

  Berry Cobb:Next WG meeting 23 Sept at 20:00 UTC

  Marinel Rosca:thank you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thx