[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] Proposed Agenda - IDN EPDP Meeting #23 - 10 February 2022 at 13:30 UTC for 90 minutes

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Tue Feb 8 16:16:47 UTC 2022

Hi all —From our previous meeting I had the action item to follow up and report to this wg on the status of the ccNSO PDP4 related to the TLD label states topic (e.g. allocated, blocked, etc.).

The ccPDP4 wg is proposing to include the definitions of states in a glossary. Not much discussion has occurred as far as possible transition from one state to another, at least not to the extent of this working group has. The following “states” are being considered:

  *   Delegated
  *   Withheld-same-entity: Withheld-same-entity: A Withheld label is set aside for possible allocation only to the same entity of the other labels in the variant set.
  *   Blocked
  *   Allocated
  *   Rejected: A Rejected string is set aside on administrative grounds outside the ordinary LGR procedures. Other terms used “Not Approved” and “Will Not Proceed”. Strings that cannot be allocated on visual confusability grounds, based on the string similarity review step in the TLD application process, are also Rejected.

There are additional considerations when it comes to the lifecycle of ccTLD strings, namely revocation or retirement of the ccTLD string. The principle is that the “bundle” or “set” behaves as one, such that if one variant is retired or revoked, then all of the variant labels are retired and revoked as well. Note that there are special circumstances in which a ccTLD string may be eligible for revocation or retirement e.g., change of name of the territory, new territory is created, etc; these circumstances do not necessarily apply to gTLDs.

I anticipate the ccPDP4 wg will revisit this topic in the near future as it cleans up the draft document. I will keep this working group informed as the work progresses.

Dennis