[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] Registration vs Activation

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Thu Aug 17 17:24:58 UTC 2023

Hi,

During today’s call I made a statement to share how registries understand variant management pertaining to the enablement of variant domain names. Let me provide more details:

  1.  The RySG and the IDN EPDP agree that a source domain name (the RySG likes to call it “primary” domain name) must precede any variant domain name. That is, the primary/source domain name is the means by which the variant set is calculated by the registry.
  2.  We suggest using the term “create” or “register” when referring to the creation of the primary domain name. This transaction is associated with the EPP CREATE, a billable transaction.
  3.  In contrast, we suggest using the term “activate” when referring to the activation (enablement or allocation) of a variant domain name. Depending upon the registry model, a registry may use EPP CREATE transactions but not necessarily so.

The distinction is important as create or registration of domain names are billable transactions. Also, we don’t want policy recommendations involuntarily implying a single operational model, discounting existing practices. I should also note that the Standard Amendment Language to add IDN services uses similar language e.g., “Variant IDNs may be activated when requested by the sponsoring Registrar of the canonical name…”.

Hope this help the conversation.

Best,
Dennis