[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] Registration vs Activation

Michael Bauland Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
Fri Aug 18 05:58:09 UTC 2023

Hi Dennis, hi all,

On 17.08.2023 19:24, Tan Tanaka, Dennis via Gnso-epdp-idn-team wrote:
> Hi,
>
> During today’s call I made a statement to share how registries
> understand variant management pertaining to the enablement of variant
> domain names. Let me provide more details:
>
>  1. The RySG and the IDN EPDP agree that a source domain name (the RySG
>     likes to call it “primary” domain name) must precede any variant
>     domain name. That is, the primary/source domain name is the means by
>     which the variant set is calculated by the registry.
>  2. We suggest using the term “create” or “register” when referring to
>     the creation of the primary domain name. This transaction is
>     associated with the EPP CREATE, a billable transaction.
>  3. In contrast, we suggest using the term “activate” when referring to
>     the activation (enablement or allocation) of a variant domain name.
>     Depending upon the registry model, a registry may use EPP CREATE
>     transactions but not necessarily so.
>
> The distinction is important as create or registration of domain names
> are billable transactions. Also, we don’t want policy recommendations
> involuntarily implying a single operational model, discounting existing
> practices. I should also note that the Standard Amendment Language to
> add IDN services uses similar language e.g., “Variant IDNs may be
> /activated/ when requested by the sponsoring Registrar of the canonical
> name…”.

I fully support this choice of wording for the exact same reason,
variants may be activated via different ways, not all of them are an
actual "registration" of the domain name.

Cheers,

Michael

      |       |
      | knipp |            Knipp  Medien und Kommunikation GmbH
       -------                    Technologiepark
                                  Martin-Schmeisser-Weg 9
                                  44227 Dortmund
                                  Germany

      Dipl.-Informatiker          Fon:    +49 231 9703-0
                                  Fax:    +49 231 9703-200
      Dr. Michael Bauland         SIP:    Michael.Bauland at knipp.de
      Software Development        E-mail: Michael.Bauland at knipp.de

                                  Register Court: