[Gnso-epdp-idn-team] Leadership Team Proposed Amendment to Rec 3.5 and IG 3.6

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Mon Sep 18 20:21:01 UTC 2023

Hi Donna,

Sure. Briefly, Sub Pro’s Recs 24.3 and 24.5 recommended that applicants that appear to be singular and plural of the same word not be automatically place in the same contention set so long the applied-for labels have different intended uses. And, to hold applicants accountable by mandatory public interest commitments to use the TLD in line with the intended use presented in the application. As I read the recommendations it reminded me of question 3.5.4 (i.e., plans to mitigate user confusion).

The Board raises concerns about the appropriateness of such recommendations. An applicant may describe its intentions and policies as to how they plan to operate and market the TLD (and operate it as intended), but they cannot control (and ICANN won’t police) how the registrants will use a domain name (use or not use the variants, in our case), and certainly cannot control how end-user interact and react to the content of a website.

So, again, I question the justification for question 3.5.4…. What are we trying to solve for? Can we measure it? Can it be enforceable?

Dennis