[Gnso-epdp-legal] [Ext] Re: Legal Committee Adobe Room

Caitlin Tubergen caitlin.tubergen at icann.org
Fri Jan 18 13:09:05 UTC 2019

Hi Margie,

Ruth has a copy of the questions in the Initial Report, and the team discussed some clarifications during the small team meeting.

Here are is what we captured regarding clarifications to the questions in the Initial Report:

1. Footnote 15 in the 15 July 2018 letter from the EDPB to ICANN provides:

“The notice requirements applicable to registrars described in the Temporary Specification (in particular at paragraph 7.1.3) do not clearly state that the provision of separate administrative and technical contact is voluntary rather than obligatory. Moreover, it should be ensured that the individual concerned is informed[.]”

With respect to the term “informed”, what would be appropriate notice, assuming the information is being held in a system where it is disclosed to specific categories of people/entities who meet certain established criteria?

2. If a registrar permits a registrant, at the time of domain name registration, to self-identify as a natural or legal person, does a registrant’s incorrect self-identification that results in the public display of personal data create liability under GDPR? If so, please advise, for each possible participant in the domain name registration process listed below, if that participant incurs liability.

· Registrar

· Reseller

· Registry Operator

· Backend service provider (for registrar and/or registry operator)?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Marika, Berry, and Caitlin