[Gnso-epdp-legal] Updated Question 11

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Tue Oct 1 15:57:19 UTC 2019

Dear team,

please find attached a first commentary on the proposed question 11
outlining some issues and proposing some edits.

Best,

volker

Am 01.10.2019 um 15:56 schrieb Margie Milam:

> Hi-
>
> Here’s my proposal based on prior discussions with Brian, Thomas &
> Volker.  Please note that this language is not reviewed yet by Thomas,
> Brian &  Volker,  but I am sharing for the purposes of discussion today.
>
> __________________________
>
> *_Updated Question 11_*

> this question in advance of the next LC call on Tuesday, 1 October./
>
> (Previous text proposed by Margie)/: /Is it permissible under GDPR to
> provide fast, automated, and non-rate limited responses (as described
> in SSAC 101) to nonpublic WHOIS data for properly credentialed
> security practitioners^1 (as defined in SSAC 101) who are responsible
> for defense against e-crimes (including network operators, providers
> of online services, commercial security services, cyber-crime
> investigators) for use in investigations and mitigation activities to
> protect their network, information systems or services (as referenced
> in GDPR Recital 49) and have agreed on appropriate safeguards? Or
> would any automated disclosure carry a potential for liability of the
> disclosing party, or the controllers or processors of such data? Can
> counsel provide examples of safeguards (such as
> pseudonymization/anonymization) that should be considered?
>
> In addition, does GDPR prohibit  the SSAD to be designed to enable
> reverse lookups based on contact fields associated with domain names
> that have been identified as being used for DNS abuse, such as
> phishing, malware and or similar type of attacks?  What are the risks
> associated with reverse lookups, and if it is possible to conduct
> reverse lookups, are there steps that can be taken to mitigate any
> perceived risks?
>
> For purposes of this question, please assume the following safeguards
> are in place:
>
> oDisclosure is required under CP’s contract with ICANN (resulting from
> Phase 2 EPDP policy).
>
> oCP’s contract with ICANN requires CP to notify the data subject of
> the purposes for which, and types of entities by which, personal data
> may be processed. CP is required to notify data subject of this with
> the opportunity to opt out before the data subject enters into the
> registration agreement with the CP, and again annually via the
> ICANN-required registration data accuracy reminder. CP has done so.
>
> oICANN or its designee has validated/verified the requestor’s
> identity, and required in each instance that the requestor:
>
> •                     represents that it has a lawful basis for
> requesting and processing the data,
>
> •                     provides its lawful basis,
>
> •                     represents that it is requesting only the data
> necessary for its purpose,
>
> •                     agrees to process the data in accordance with
> GDPR, and
>
> •                     agrees to EU standard contractual clauses for
> the data transfer.

> [...]
Volker A. Greimann
General Counsel and Policy Manager
*KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH*

T: +49 6894 9396901
M: +49 6894 9396851
F: +49 6894 9396851
W: www.key-systems.net

Key-Systems GmbH is a company registered at the local court of
Saarbruecken, Germany with the registration no. HR B 18835
CEO: Alexander Siffrin

Part of the CentralNic Group PLC (LON: CNIC) a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 8576358.