[Gnso-epdp-team] Proposed redline on the lawfulness of processing

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 06:54:11 UTC 2018

DeAr Alex,
Dear All,
Below is Article 2

*"Art. 2 GDPR Material scope*

*1.     This Regulation applies to the processing of personal data wholly
or partly by automated means ?and to the processing other than by automated
means? of personal data which form part of a filing system or are intended
to form part of a filing system.?*

*2.     This Regulation does not apply to the processing of personal data: *

*1.     in the course of an activity which falls outside the scope of Union
law;*

*2.     by the Member States when carrying out activities which fall within
the scope of Chapter 2 of Title V of the TEU
<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:12012M/TXT>;*

*3.     by a natural person in the course of a purely personal or household
activity;*

*4.     by competent authorities for the purposes of the prevention,
investigation, detection or prosecution of criminal offences or the
execution of criminal penalties, including the safeguarding against and the
prevention of threats to public security.*

*3.     1For the processing of personal data by the Union institutions,
bodies, offices and agencies, Regulation (EC) No 45/2001
<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32001R0045>
applies. 2Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and other Union legal acts applicable
to such processing of personal data shall be adapted to the principles and
rules of this Regulation in accordance with Article 98
<https://gdpr-info.eu/art-98-gdpr/>.*

*4.     This Regulation shall be without prejudice to the application of
Directive 2000/31/EC
<http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32000L0031>,
in particular of the liability rules of intermediary service providers in
Articles 12 to 15 of that Directive."*

As I mentioned such refrence, is made  it would  make the reading of  the
Temp Spec.more difficult due to the fact that There are other cross
refernces ,some of which are merely " Directives for EU" and thus are not
to be applied outside EU. It may not be appropriate to make jurisdictions
of other countries subordinate to the Directives of EU.Consequenly, it is
preferable to have plain language to be included in the final draft of
Temp. Spec.

Regards

Kavouss