[Gnso-epdp-team] On the subject of ICANN's Bylaws...

Alan Woods alan at donuts.email
Thu Aug 15 08:59:52 UTC 2019

To quickly respond to Greg's point,  I think we are way beyond the point of
understanding the spirit of the requests.  As previously noted we would not
be sitting at this table if we did not all patently understand the "why";
our point remains that even the most worthy of reasons may fall foul of an
inadequate form, explanation or justification . The law has set out the
principles and we must devise policy that respects that law - need I also
remind, we did not write the law,  we, (and for clarity the WE here is the
contracted parties and not the 3rd party requester) are the ones that must
follow it here in the first instance.  All the good intentions in the world
will not remedy illegality in our policy.

To echo the sentiment of the CPH letter sent on Tuesday, and noting Janis
has indicated that he hopes that the Zero Version report shall start that
path, I will reiterated that we need to create policy that is aimed at
expecting and glean the type of information required in a request, and not
merely provide 'standard' request formats based on 'Case Study 1 through *∞* .
Every request received will be unique - the policy/ process on how to deal
with each unique request - is what we should be trying to standardize.

Therefore to answer Mark's question as to what concrete steps I'm talking
about , using our 'use case' discussion and indeed my own reasoning when
reviewing them,I have thrown together a *really rough draft *of the process
which, when we cut through the concept of justifying angles, and actually
critically identify the process necessary in a 6(1)f situation - This was
merely an exercise of taking the process we are going through in our heads
in our deliberations, and writing it down for posterity. So I have tried to
focus on the process elements, which I go through in assessing the
individual "case study" - we need to take a step back to viewing a case
study (singular) as raw material to see what process steps we take to treat
that material, and come up with an answer - either 1)release 2)request more
info or 3)decline.

I hope it helps!

Alan

PS : to be clear this is my document not a RYSG or CPH doc

[image: Donuts Inc.] <http://donuts.domains>
Alan Woods
Senior Compliance & Policy Manager, Donuts Inc.
------------------------------
The Victorians,
15-18 Earlsfort Terrace
Dublin 2, County Dublin
Ireland

<https://www.facebook.com/donutstlds>   <https://twitter.com/DonutsInc>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/donuts-inc>

Please NOTE: This electronic message, including any attachments, may
include privileged, confidential and/or inside information owned by Donuts
Inc. . Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than
the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to
this message and then delete it from your system. Thank you.