[Gnso-epdp-team] Question in relation to BC comment on consent recommendation

Emily Taylor emily.taylor at oxil.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 10:44:51 UTC 2019

Dear Marika and EPDP Colleagues

In addition to Alan's comments, which I support, there are just too many
uncertainties across the whole process to submit to specific dates.  As has
been stated on multiple occasions, consent has to be as easily withdrawn as
given. So, implementation of this recommendation will require technical
workflows to be created to facilitate withdrawal of consent.

I support the recommendation as drafted, and do not support the proposed
update.

Best wishes

Emily

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Alan Woods <alan at donuts.email> wrote:

> This strikes me as a apples / oranges type situation.
>
> James' suggestion was for the ORG field, and was a concession as it
> represents a relatively low risk, this does not flow to Registrant data.
> There is a chasm of difference in consent for an ORG field and Consent for
> the publication of all registrant data.
>
>  I shall be blunt, it worries me that this distinction is not even
> contemplated in the suggestion.
>
> So, that would be a no for me. This simply ignores the serious concerns of
> those parties bearing the risks, which have now been stated on the record,
> umpteen times.
>
> Alan
>

> [image: Donuts Inc.] <http://donuts.domains>
> Alan Woods
> Senior Compliance & Policy Manager, Donuts Inc.
> ------------------------------
> The Victorians,
> 15-18 Earlsfort Terrace
> Dublin 2, County Dublin
> Ireland
>
> <https://www.facebook.com/donutstlds>   <https://twitter.com/DonutsInc>
> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/donuts-inc>
>
> Please NOTE: This electronic message, including any attachments, may
> include privileged, confidential and/or inside information owned by Donuts
> Inc. . Any distribution or use of this communication by anyone other than
> the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
> you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to
> this message and then delete it from your system. Thank you.
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 5:24 PM Marika Konings <marika.konings at icann.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Margie, James, all,
>>

>> In relation to the BC comment:
>>

>> “*RECOMMENTATION  REGARDING CONSENT* Page 19 – Line 549  please delete
>>  “as soon as commercially reasonable”.  Instead, this recommendation should
>> track the dates for implementation under the transition plan that James and
>> the registrars proposed in Toronto.”
>>

>> Could you please provide further details in relation to what is referred
>> to with ‘the transition plan that James and the registrars proposed’ and
>> how that would affect the recommendation?
>>

>> As a reminder, this new recommendation (modelled on the existing Temp
>> Spec language) currently reads as follows:
>>

>> *“The EPDP Team recommends that, as soon as commercially reasonable,
>> Registrar must provide the opportunity for the Registered Name Holder to
>> provide its Consent to** publish additional contact information”.*
>>

>> Best regards,
>>

>> Caitlin, Berry and Marika
>>

>> *Marika Konings*
>>
>> *Vice President, Policy Development Support – GNSO, Internet Corporation
>> for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) *
>>
>> *Email: marika.konings at icann.org <marika.konings at icann.org>  *
>>

>> *Follow the GNSO via Twitter @ICANN_GNSO*
>>
>> *Find out more about the GNSO by taking our interactive courses
> [...]

Emily Taylor

CEO, Oxford Information Labs
*MA (Cantab), Solicitor (non-practising), MBA, *

*A**ssociate Fellow, Chatham House; Editor, Journal of Cyber Policy*

Lincoln House, Pony Road, Oxford OX4 2RD | T: 01865 582885
E: emily.taylor at oxil.co.uk | D: 01865 582811 | M: +44 7540 049322

<http://explore.tandfonline.com/cfp/pgas/rcyb-cfp-2017>
<http://explore.tandfonline.com/cfp/pgas/rcyb-cfp-2017>

Registered office: Lincoln House, 4 Pony Road, Oxford OX4 2RD. Registered
in England and Wales No. 4520925. VAT No. 799526263

.